Thursday, March 10, 2005

Napster?! I barely even knew her? 

Ah the Age of teh Intern3t™!!1
I've noticed a lot of internet trends that I'd like to take this time to address.


In case you haven't noticed, the ad industry has wised up. No, really. It's all about viral marketing these days.
Why bother creating a buzz for a product when you can just attach your product to a current trend?

Here's how Nokia tricked me into watching their ad: Fan 1, Cat 0.

Here's a notoriously (in the UK at least) stupid commercial for esure.com: "Driven to Distraction"

Someone, who was probably not paid by esure but should have been, has saved this doomed ad by turning it into a gabba mash-up video: Esure Remix


::




Hell if I know...



::



Another trend I've been seeing a lot of lately is an increase of flash psychedelia. I'm not sure what else I can say. You'll have to see for yourself.


::



Here's one trend that will never lose its charm... JESUS PICTURES!

jesus hockey



::



Gone are the days of "all your base are belong to us" but I suppose it's never to late to learn how to create your own stupid internet cartoon.
Trust me, it's only a matter of time before Burger King starts making these (see "viral marketing" above).


::




What's up with Jesus and hockey?



::



This isn't viral marketing, but it did make me LOL, ROFL, and LMAO!:
Watch this Honda commercial,
then watch this parody.


::



We all have had the whole "digital media is the future" mantra drilled into our skulls by now. But with all the companies throwing their hats into the downloadable media arena, how are we supposed to know where to download our media from?

Well, I decided to do a little research after I read an article that said that the music download site "AllofMP3.com," which is located in Russia, is legally allowed to conduct business at its ridiculously low prices (2¢/Mb) because they are within the restrictions of Russian copyright laws. So let the madness begin!

So here is a quick comparison of some major download services (iTunes & Napster) and the recently absolved AllofMP3.com.

Big caveat:
I did not factor in the different "special features" that some of these services provide (e.g. playlist building, streaming, etc) or their customer service or billing practices, and I have never myself purchased/downloaded anything from any of these sites/services, EVER.
That said, I give you...

Navigating the world of downloadable music:


AllofMP3iTunesNapster
File Formats:MP3/WMA/OGG/MPC/AACAACWMA
Quality/Compression:up to 384kbps
(via "Online Decoding")
128kbps128kbps
Pricing:2¢/Mb99¢/song99¢/song
Personal Usage Rights:- Unlimited burning
- Unlimited computers
- Unlimited portable device transfers
- Unlimited burning of individual tracks
- 5 computer limit
- Unlimited portable device transfers
- Unlimited burning of individual tracks
- 3 computer limit
- Unlimited portable device transfers
Portable device support:AllMostMany (except iPod!)
System Requirements:- Mac/Windows
- Web browser
- Mac/Windows
- Web browser
- Proprietary Software
- Windows
- Internet Explorer 5+
- Proprietary Software
Album download example:
("How much for 'The Joshua Tree?'")
MP3 @ 384kbps = $2.82AAC @ 128kbps = $9.99WMA @ 128kbps = $10.89 (@99¢/track)



So there you have it. You be the judge.

Comments: 0

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?