Sunday, July 20, 2008

iPod Touch/iPhone Apps 

So I recently upgraded my iPod Touch with the new $10 software thingy and have access to a bunch of cool applications on the device. A handful of the coolest:


iTunes Remote
Apps
This little app goes over my wi-fi network and allows me to view all of the music on my laptop and then play a song, change the song that is playing, turn the volume up and down and even see the cover art for the song that is currently playing, all from the device in your hand. The suave James Bond way to think about it is to be hosting a cocktail party with the music powered by your iTunes and slyly adjusting the volume and skipping over crappy songs remotely. This is also handy if you have speakers on your porch and all of the music is in the house. As long as you can access your wi-fi, you can play DJ remotely.


::



LiveSportz
Apps
Despite the dorky name, this little app is pretty amazing. It gives you nearly realtime events happening in any MLB baseball game. Who is playing what position, who's on base, what's happening in the game. I found this screenshot that shows it off better than I can explain it.

ballgame
click for bigger


::

WeatherBug
Apps
Unlike the iTouch's native weather app (which is a little lacking) the WeatherBug app tells you immediate conditions in your area, gives forecasts for tomorrow, shows you the radar map, and offers views of public weather webcams in your area. AND you can set up to three different regions so you can tell if your mansion in Laurel Canyon is getting enough sun.

Boring video here:



::


BoxOffice
Apps
A brilliantly simple app that shows you the movies playing in your area and the showtimes. It give a tiny bit of data and the rating from RottenTomatoes.com


::



Last.FM and Pandora
Apps Apps
Two streaming radio applications based on their online services. I haven't dug into them too deeply yet (I'm imagining I'll do more with the Last.FM app) because I've been too busy playing:


::



iPint
Apps
...which is this hilarious (although pretty basic) game/parlor trick where you need to pass a pint of Carling beer down the bar to a thirsty patron. You guide the pint along the bar by tipping the iPod in the direction you want the glass to slide. When you finish a level, your iPod fills with virtual sloshing beer that you can tip back and pour out. This video does it justice:




The incredible thing is that all of these apps were free.

The thing that I keep hitting on is that I would use a lot of these things when I'm out in the car or waiting in line at the bank and unless I can snag wi-fi from somewhere (not likely in the car) I'm boned. The real appeal of the iPhone is that as long as you have a cell connection you can use all of these things.

My question is: Which other (preferably free) apps are worth checking out? I've grabbed a couple free games but they've been lame. I'd like to find something whose icon blinks or vibrates when an open wi-fi connection is around. Does that exist? (And keep in mind I don't have a built-in speaker like the iPhone does, so the lightsaber app does me no good.)

::


Thanks Steve Jobs

Comments: 0

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?