Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Sounds of Summer 

Big fan of the debut (and, lets face it...probably only) album from stuporgroup Tinted Windows featuring James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick, Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne, and Taylor Hanson of Hanson.

I'm a big fan of three of these bands and I'll be damned if that girl from Hanson can't sing a solid pop song. It's sorta like Schlesinger said to himself "Man I wish I was a young man during Cheap Trick's heyday. The world needs that kind of super-shimmery pop song right now. Hmmm... aw fuck it, I'll just make my own Cheap Trick."

The band has just the right blend of cute/ugly members, walls of distorted guitars, plenty of treble, teenaged love songs (granted, written by men in their late thirties), sweetly disposable pop tunes and hooks for a million miles. Plus, having an actual member of Cheap Trick can't hurt.

When I listen I say "Oh, there's a Pumpkins song...I loved 'Plume.' Oh, this song of Adam's didn't make it onto Welcome Interstate Managers apparently. Man I wish Robin Zander could still fit into this song. Hey, I remember 'MMMMbop.' I liked that song."

So here's some jams:














(a misguided T Rex homage, but still fun stuff)




(Sounds exactly like "Two Days Gone" by somebody I can't remember...any help would be appreciated)






Comments: 0

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?